So what are we going to do? Well first we have to get ready. I know you're probably surprised now that we're planning at all. Even being crazy requires some level of planning. Here's what's happened so far:
- Saved our pre-allotted amount of money we decided we had to have in the bank before deciding to leave
- Quit our jobs. Wow. Nuts.
- Got renters for our house
- Lost the renters for our house
- Posted our house again to hopefully get new renters
- Packed 1/3 of our stuff to be put into storage
- Had full physicals to make sure nothing medical or surprising can come up anytime soon (all levels look good!)
- Both been to the dentist for a full check up (no fillings for me! yay! Cole had a couple but he nitro'd it up and probably had a decent time haha)
- Found a storage unit
- Sold: washer and dryer, the truck (poor Leo!), Tyler's mini-- sending him a couple hundred bucks! I'm so proud of how handy Cole was when he just up and fixed it one day, a hand gun, a motorcycle, and probably some other things I'm forgetting
- Bought a back packing tent
What do we have left to do:
- Sell our remaining sellable items: dirt bike, TV, Wii, and anything else we can think of--hopefully have a garage sale? Or just go to DI
- Buy some back packing packs
- Reserve a campground in Hawaii
- Reserve spots at Hostels in Hawaii on Wednesdays and Thursdays when you can't camp, if we can reserve those spots. Don't worry we're not becoming permanent members of a commune or anything
- Get a rental car for the first week
- Get renters for our house
- Pack our crap
- Clean up the house one last time
- Leave for California
- Fly to Hawaii
Once we get to Hawaii our plan is:
- To first pick up our rental car
- Second go set up our tent at our campsite
- Find an old beat up truck of some sort to buy
- Take back the rental car
- Find a place to live
- Move into place
- Get internet
- Find jobs
- Big goal-- don't anger the locals. We don't want to get beat up every day for being white. Thanks for the heads up Troy! ;)
Please know that all in here is tons of playing :) We want to get scuba certified (officially--finally!) and play on the beach, camp a lot, mountain bike, and whatever else we can think of.
I think our families will be glad to hear we plan on working full time out there. Originally we thought we would screw off for the year and just work crappy jobs that would pay the bills. I think Cole and I are too driven to do that, so we'll be looking for full time jobs in our field.
Honestly, most of the hard work is already over :)
We will be missing our friends. I know Logan and Lisa and their little baby will be in our thoughts, and the Huntington's especially. I don't know what I'm going to do without Megan! I'm going to have to skype her while I work out or something. But Cole and I hope to make lots of new friends in Hawaii.
So why are we doing this? Cole and I want to live more simply. We also want to be able to say we did this! It's perfect timing. A big adventure before having a family and maybe not getting to travel and live to rootless anymore. We're really excited and hope that we get plenty of visitors out there!